Raw Snickers Bars
This is a great little snack to give you the energy you need when you are on the go and the perfect way to also sneak in some extra protein into your day. The dates give you all the sweetness you need and the home-made chocolate is so easy to make! Double the batch so you have extra on hand as they keep in the freezer for up a month!
Makes 16 bars
Date Caramel Layer:
2 cups packed Medjool Dates (pitted)
¼ cup crunchy Peanut Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tbsp Maca Powder
¼ tsp Salt
1 ½ cups Oat Flour
½ cup Caramel, recipe above
½ cup cocoa butter
½ cup virgin coconut oil
½ cup raw organic cocoa powder
½ cup liquid sweetener of choice (organic honey, rice malt syrup, maple syrup)
- Place dates to a larger bowl and cover with hot water. Soak the dates for 10 minutes.
- Drain any of the liquid off the Medjool Dates and add them to a food processor or high-speed blender with the remaining ingredients for the date caramel.
- Process until thick and smooth, scraping the sides when necessary.
- Place the Remove the date mixture from the food processor. Add the Oat Flour to the food processor (no need to rinse) with ½ cup of the caramel and process until it comes together.
- Press the nougat mixture into silicone bar moulds! If you don’t have bar moulds, a lined rectangle 10x20cm baking tray will do the trick too
- Spread the remaining caramel evenly over the nougat, then sprinkle the peanuts over the caramel. Press the peanuts into the caramel layer so that they stick.
- Place this in the freezer until firm, about 1 hour.
- Remove the bars from their mould, if using a baking tray, turn over onto a chopping board and then use a sharp knife to cut it into bar-sized pieces. Return these to the freezer while you make your chocolate.
- Grate 1/2 cup of the cocoa butter. It will melt easier when it’s grated. Measure also 1/2 cup of coconut oil.
- Place cocoa butter and coconut oil in a water in a small, heat-safe cup or bowl. Then place the cup or bowl in a shallow pan containing a small amount of warm (not boiling, but nearly) water. Stir the oil and butter occasionally until it’s smooth.
- Pour the dry ingredients in the bowl with melted oil and butter. Stir continuously until smooth.
- Add the sweetener, I like maple syrup.
- Moving quickly, place 1 bar at a time into the bowl of chocolate. Using two forks, “flip” the bar, until it is coated in chocolate on all sides. place it onto a plate lined with baking paper.
- Place the bars in the fridge for 5-10 minutes, to allow the Chocolate to harden.
- Serve and enjoy! Bars are best stored in the fridge and will last there for up to 10 days. You can also place them in the freezer, where they will last for up to one month – just let the bars thaw for 5 or so minutes before enjoying.
#vegan #raw #refinedsugarfree #proteinrich #rawsnacks